Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Cows In The Horizon Part I

In the darkest hour of the night I heard an owl. I stopped the rocking chair and listened closely. No other sound broke the silence. I was sitting on the porch with a woolen quilt wrapped around me. The night sky was clear but dark with a small crescent moon hovering right above the animal shelter. Thick snow covered the ground and in the horizon I could vaguely make out the silhouettes of the cows standing still as if they were frozen. I waited but nothing happened. I knew someone should come from the forest. I had seen the figure emerge from the tree line before, walking on our fields and around our house but never coming close enough for me to recognize who it was. It was a rather tall figure, hunched over and there was something odd about the way it moved as if it was limping. I had seen the figure the night my daughters went missing, and I suspected it had something to do with their disappearance.

It was freezing and I had to give up my little waiting game. I got up, went inside and warmed up a glass of mulled wine. Then I walked into the library, where I always felt a certain serenity, put on a fire in the old, stone fireplace, sat on the black and leathery rococo couch and yawned. I felt so, so tired, I could not sleep. It was past that.

Suddenly, there was a loud bang from upstairs, followed by a noise of shattering glass as if a window was broken. I was startled and spilled the hot beverage on the couch. I breathed rapidly and my heart was beating like crazy. I was alone in the house. My wife, Kristen, had left me just a month earlier, as she insisted I was going mad: imagining things, getting obsessed with the figure. She did not believe there was someone or something stalking our house, following us. I had first seen the figure almost a year ago, but I did not tell her at first. I dared not to tell her as I did not want to needlessly scare her. After our daughters strangely disappeared though, I had to.

Kate was fourteen, nearly a teenager. Kayden only three months old, just a baby. They vanished one night, almost six months ago now. The police believed Kate had kidnapped Kayden. They suspected so as Kate had been very protective of the baby. Not just that, she had been constantly fighting with Kristen and me. But that is how teenagers are, is it not? Perhaps Kate and Kristen were fighting a little bit more than is considered usual. I was not sure what they fought about, mostly about Kayden, I guess. Our little baby had a difficult start having problems with her tiny heart. Somehow Kate believed that Kristen was not doing her part as a mother too well. Nevertheless, I did not believe that Kate would have ran away with our baby. She would not do that to her parents. Besides, I was sure the mysterious figure had something to do with my poor girls gone missing.

I got up from the couch slowly. I was trying to determine whether it would be wise to go see what was going on upstairs or just call the police and stay safe. But it would take a long while for the police to get so deep into the countryside and then it might be too late, I decided and headed for the stairs. My heart was pounding and all the way up I could hear the wind whistling as it came inside through the broken window. The sound was coming from our bedroom. A while ago the night had been calm but now the wind was rising and I knew that a storm was going to hit us before morning.

I got up the stairs and hit the light switch but nothing happened. Everything was covered in pitch-black darkness and I reached my hand in front of me, so I could feel if I was going to bump on something. One step, two steps, three and four. I could feel the bedroom door. I fumbled to find the doorknob and finally did. It was lower than I had remembered. I opened the door and it made a tiny creak.

It had started to snow outside and delicate, white snowflakes flew inside from the broken window. The red Persian carpet was covered in glass shards. The wind was rising and the pale white curtains flowed ominously towards me like the ghosts of our ancestors. The house was old, centuries old, and I had always felt a bit restless there. I looked around but it was hard to see well in the weak light of the crescent moon. I saw nothing on the floor that could have broken the window. I looked outside and saw no one but I got an uneasy feeling that someone saw me. I left the room quickly as something was making me panic. In the darkness, I would not be able to see if someone was standing in the corner of the room. And most likely someone was as I did not notice then but I should have. Indeed, there was someone with me in the house.


When I managed to find the stairs in the dark, I realized, the light downstairs was now gone too. I started my way down but suddenly hit something or missed a stair and lost my balance. I rolled down and hit my head on the last step.


I may have lost consciousness for a while, I thought as I woke up. I stood up and my head was spinning. My right ankle, I had broken back in the day in a riding accident, hurt bad and it was hard to stand on it. The damn foot was always bothering me, and sometimes it made walking really painful. Now I found myself struggling for a while to give it any weight at all.

Suddenly, I heard footsteps from upstairs followed by a whisper. I could not make out what was said, though.

Hello? Is there someone there?” I tried to yell but I could hear the fear in my voice. It was trembling.

I felt nauseous. My feet were shaking, my palms were sweaty and my throat felt dry as fallen leaves under the autumn sun. I was trying to see what was on top of the stairs, was there someone standing there? It was too dark.

The cows... They can’t see”, I heard a hissing whisper followed by a sound of footsteps running above me.

Regardless of how scared I was, instead of running away, I ran up the stairs. The pain in my ankle was throbbing.

Who are you?! Show me yourself!” I screamed. I got up but was met with the blackest darkness as if a wall was put in front of me. I made my way back in to the bedroom, tumbling in the dark. I walked to the broken window and looked outside. Shivers went through my spine and I froze in place. I kept staring, unable to look away. Outside a hunched over, black figure was standing in the field, looking straight at me. The footsteps in the snow, I had not noticed before, now went from the house to where the figure was. It was standing closer to me than ever before and it looked… familiar.

Then I heard it. A baby crying. All the hair on my back rose up and I felt tears gathering behind my eyes. It could not be… I turned around slowly, my feet getting scratches through my woolen socks from the broken glass as I moved. I looked, the moon shined brighter now and I saw that there it was: an old pine wood cradle in the corner of the bedroom. It should not be there, we had moved it to the attic after our daughters disappeared. I took a step towards it and saw that there was something in it.

My baby… Oh my God, Kayden”, I whispered and almost fainted. I was shaking my head in disbelief.

My poor baby, how can you be there?” I asked her and wept. Then I made my way to the cradle and swept her in to my arms.

But as I did I realized, it was not my baby at all, it was not even human. I screamed and stared at my hands. It took a while for me to recognize what I was holding. It was a tiniest calf. A dead one.


But I was sure it had cried like a real baby. Was I going mad after all? Then I found it. A tape recorder, under the body of the poor baby cow. If this was a sick joke it had gone too far. I felt terrified, unsafe. I felt like I had to get out of that house... 

To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment